Sports are one of the greatest passions in life, which consequently makes it a hotbed for trouble. After all, there’s always a chance for conflicts to arise whenever an individual’s actions, behavior, or words are prompted by passion.
What can a sports lawyer protect you from?
The first thing you should know is that a sports lawyer does not only defend athletes. They can also be help to other kinds of individuals commonly involved with sports and these include but are not limited to sports fans, officials, coaching staff, team owners, and even former players.
To give you a better idea of how a sports attorney can be of help, here are several cases in which their services will prove very handy.
- Reputation management. Sports lawyers can make sure that your name or reputation is cleared from vile rumors as well as slanderous or libelous claim to ensure that you do not suffer from the loss or withdrawal of sponsorships or sports scholarships.
- Participation. They can also help prove the validity of your application or entry in sports competitions and organizations.
- Personal injuries. A sports attorney can also help prove that you deserve compensation for injuries you have suffered that are not “part of the game”.
- Rights. In many cases, being an athlete puts you under obligation to your team. However, your responsibilities as an athlete should never override your personal rights. You cannot, for instance, be forced to continue playing if you have been proven to be seriously or terminally sick.
- Contesting or challenging calls or results. Sports lawyers can help in determining whether you have a solid case for contesting a particular call or result that affects you as an athlete.
- Contracts. Sports attorneys can ensure that you fully understand the terms and conditions you would agree to before signing a contract. On the other hand, they can also help you do the opposite by wiggling away from your contractual duties because of a loophole.